Friday, May 13, 2011

Almanzo Time!

Artwork from Almanzo blog - Chris Skogen

Oh Almanzo. If there was anyone at anytime that could say they "Lived Audaciously" it was Almanzo Wilder. You may know him as Mr. Laura Ingalls Wilder from the Little House books that were required reading for any girl under the age of 10 (and required re-reading for any girl over 10). Yes I still read my tattered, torn and well loved books. Don't judge me. You're just jealous.

What some people don't know is that he and Laura lived for awhile in the Spring Valley, MN area and he has inspired a bicycle race by the same name.

The Almanzo 100, a free, self-supporting dirt road bike race that winds you through 100 miles of some on Minnesota's most beautiful country side.
Artwork from Almanzo blog - Chris Skogen
Yeah I said 100 miles. These riders, much like Almanzo himself, are bad ass. And if you are thinking to yourself, "100 miles? I dunno... I kinda like a challenge". Don't
worry! new this year is the Royal 162, and it is sure to kick your tuckis. (Royal is Almanzo's oldest brother for those of you not in the know.)

Last year was my first time volunteering, and it was a blast! What amazed, (inspired? dare I say renewed my faith in humanity) was that among these 450+ riders that descended upon Spring Valley is that they were there to ride. Just ride. There weren't bad attitudes, ego trips or drama, they were there to ride and have a great race.

Among a group made up of so many different types of bike riders:  the die-hard-spandex-wearing-axle-grease in their-veins bikers, the ones who showed up in cargo shorts and crocs dreadlocks sticking out from under their helmets, and the ones who told me "I'm hoping to make it to the checkpoint, if not look for me in the ditch would ya?" there was a camaraderie that they were in it together and help each other out along the way. 
Bad ass volunteer shirts. Hell yeah crush gravel!
Even get a VIP lanyard. I know. I'm a big deal.

I'm volunteering again tomorrow morning and I've even sucked my dad into volunteering with me. I just had to tell him there was a free t-shirt in it for him and he was there!

So if you are in the Spring Valley area Saturday, check things out! The all city garage sales are on, pancake breakfast, the Almanzo Market Craft Fair. And don't forget the Spring Valley Awesome A&W Drive In!

And if you happen to be driving around and see a sea of spandex, don't worry, they come in peace. They are just here to crush gravel.

More information check out the Official Almanzo Blog
See you next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment